Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog...... Its too dark to read.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Happy Wedding Anniversary Mom & Dad !!!



I have an affinity to the concept of a "love marriage". It is because I had a first hand view of how a love marriage should work, right in front of my eyes. I have been seeing and experiencing it for the past 13 years......I say 13 because before that I was more interested in cartoons and chocolates. But when puberty hit and the hormones jagruk hua...thats when I realized there's something called as love.
My  initial thought process was that love was based on looks and it further led to marriage and then I found out that Shakti Kapoor was married, so that thought process was shut down with a bang.  It took me a while to realize it was mutual respect, admiration and the ability to adjust that contributed to a successful marriage. I would also attribute it to the husband's fear of his wife (believe me I have seen it).
I have seen my parents holding onto each other in sickness and in health.  
 
A few changes observed in their personalities post marriage:

1. Dad left alcohol for fear of not being allowed into his own house by mom.
2. Mom started tolerating vulgar jokes cracked by dad and me.
3. Dad's pre-marriage "figure" represented poverty (the thin malnourished look) but post marriage he successfully developed a belly (which represents prosperity)
4. Even mom had a malnourished look before marriage but people didn't feel pity until she was pregnant. People say she looked like she was carrying triplets but were surprised when only one big human was retrieved.
5. The last but best surprise was that their kid turned out to be "taller, stronger and sharper" than them and no this was not because of horlicks.

Being married for 26 years is a huge feat but to remain in love for such a long time is an even bigger achievement. I wouldn't call it a miracle because it was  a constant effort from both parties to keep this relationship going strong.
I can only pray that I would do justice to my marriage(whenever that happens) and be as lucky as both of you.

Happy Wedding Anniversary.

No comments: